Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Senior-Mom-itis: My son's paraprofessional wrote me a note yesterday, in the wake of a couple of failed quizzes, suggesting a problem with my son's attitude. I mentioned that maybe it was senioritis, and maybe it is. One thing I know for sure, though, is that I have senioritis. Man oh man oh man, am I ready for him to graduate. Am I ready to not get notes implying he should have studied better for tests when the tests weren't structured in a way he can pass and neither were the study materials. Am I ready to not have to read an entire book on a weekend to help him with homework. Am I ready to not have people believe him when he says things that are obviously catchphrases he spouts when he doesn't want to talk about it. Like a kid who basically likes school but can taste graduation, I really do like my son's para and his teachers, and I think everyone has done an amazing job with him, and I'm forever grateful, but I am outa here. It's just weeks away, the end of years of IEP meetings and classroom struggles and homework as we've known it. My brain is there already. And while I know that college will have challenge of its own for him, we're both ready for different ones. Listen. Pomp and Circumstance. Can you hear it? So close. It's a nice day to kick back and dream.

2 comments:

Heather Clark @Mom2Rebels said...

Wow! How inspiring to think of the day! Congrats to you guys! Almost there.

spectrummom said...

Scary to think of that loss of control. I have 3 kids on spectrum. The oldest is 14. I just don't know how ready I am for that.