Wednesday, October 19, 2011

If Only Everybody Came With an Explanation for Their Inexplicable Behavior: In a post called "I'm Not Bad. I Am Autistic," the Special Needs Homeschool blog offers a handy and easily understandable explanation for behaviors that are common not only to kids with autism but with other special needs as well. Many of these are typical of my son, who is neither autistic nor bad. Of course, for him, we'd have to add, "I know I walk up and take your keys out of your hand in a way that makes you fear I might steal them. I won't. I just like the way they feel in my hand, and I like talking about where they go, and I like it that I know exactly what kind of car you have and can pick it out in the parking lot from now on. No, really, I'm not going to steal it. I'm not bad. I'm neurologically unique."

No comments: